Kennedy-King Memorial College Scholarship
Applications for 2014 are now closed. Applications
for 2015 will be posted by November 2014.
The Kennedy-King Memorial Scholarship Fund each spring awards
a number of two-year scholarships of $4,000 per year to students who transfer
in the fall or spring following the award from Contra Costa County community
colleges to junior standing in four-year accredited institutions.
TO QUALIFY FOR A SCHOLARSHIP YOU MUST:
- Be of African-American, Latino, Native American, or of Pacific
Islander descent, i.e. a minority group underrepresented at four-year colleges
and universities in California.
- Be enrolled for the fall semester prior to the award (or
have completed your course work within the past year) at Diablo Valley, Contra
Costa, or Los Medanos Colleges. Applicants may not be currently enrolled
nor intend to enroll before next June in a four-year college or university.
- Be eligible (have sufficient and proper units) to transfer
to a four-year institution with junior standing for the next fall term (or
at the latest the next spring term) following the award.
- Provide evidence of financial need.
- Complete and submit on time the application with required
attachments. If selected for interview, you MUST attend the Saturday morning
Selection Comnittee interviews in the spring.
To complete Kennedy-King scholarship applications,
eligible students in the three Contra Costa Community Colleges will need to
download the following four documents:
- Letter &
Instructions: The letter from the Selection Committee
sets forth the qualifications students must meet to be eligible to apply
for a Kennedy-King scholarship. The instructions provide the information
needed to complete the application.
- Application: This is the application students must complete.
- Counselor's Verification: The student's community college
counselor must complete this verification of the student's readiness to transfer
to a four-year college with junior standing.
- Personal Reference
Form: This form will be used by the student's
three references to express their views on the suitability of the student
for a Kennedy-King scholarship. (You will need three of these).
Memorial Scholarship Fund also offers one-year graduate scholarships in
amount of $4,000 each to pursue a graduate degree. To apply
and be eligible for the scholarship, you must:
- Have been a previous recipient of an undergraduate Kennedy-King
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Complete and submit the application with required
- Transcripts of all your college level academic work,
- An essay outlining your career goals and why you
believe you are deserving of a Kennedy-King graduate scholarship, and
- Two completed Personal Reference Forms — one from
a college or university professor, and another from an individual who
is familiar with your interests and achievements (not a family member).
- You must be accepted and enrolled in an academically
accredited graduate program leading to a graduate degree. You can apply in
subsequent years for additional grants if needed to complete your degree
To complete your Kennedy-King scholarship application,
former Kennedy-King scholars will need to
download these documents:
- Letter &
Instructions: The letter from the Selection Committee sets forth the
qualifications students must meet to be eligible to apply for a Kennedy-King
scholarship. The instructions provide the information needed to complete
- Application: This
is the application students must complete.
- Personal Reference Form: This
form will be used by the student's two references to express their views
on the suitability of the student for a Kennedy-King scholarship. (You will
need three of these).
Kennedy King Memorial College Scholarship Fund, Ltd.
P.O. Box 2643, Martinez, Ca. 94553
IRS Tax ID# 94-1677726